Bitmaker is Canada’s largest technology skills accelerator.
Startup accelerators launch companies. We launch careers. It starts by surrounding you with a cohort of highly motivated, entrepreneurial learners and a team of tech industry leaders. Then we teach you the skills top companies are looking for and give you the confidence you need to grow long after your course is over.
We believe that in the right environment, you can do anything.
Why teach our Web Development Immersive?
If you are looking to make a life-changing impact by sharing your love for software development with the next generation of developers, we’d love for you to consider joining our team. We deliver more than just skills training, and are looking for teachers who share our vision for a community of lifelong learners pursuing work that they love.
Responsibilities and Duties
As a teacher for our flagship 12 week full-time web development program, you will join us on our downtown Toronto campus weekday afternoons (between 2-5 days per week, as student population requires) from 2:00pm to 6:00pm:
- Provide 1-1 support to students as they work on assignments and projects
- Provide verbal feedback on students’ work
- Lead small group review sessions and problem solving activities
- Help students solve set-up/installation issues (OS X and Linux)
- Work closely with co-instructors to ensure students are successful in this demanding course
- Become a better teacher, leader, and mentor as you learn from veteran instructors
- Inspire and support students as they identify their passions and drive their own continued learning beyond the curriculum
- Facilitate a safe, supportive, and energetic community that meets the various needs of your students
- Inspire students to persevere through the challenges of learning a new skill set
After a few cohorts spent becoming familiar with our course and students, we hope your role will grow to include more responsibilities such as delivering lessons and developing/improving curriculum materials.
What do we teach?
We continue to update our curriculum as the hiring environment changes, but today our course includes:
- Git and unix command-line
- HTML, CSS
- Unit testing
Required Skills and Qualifications
- You have at least 3 years of professional web development experience (due to regulations set by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, this requirement is not flexible)
- You are available at least 2 weekday afternoons (2pm - 6pm) per week
- You have experience teaching, tutoring, or mentoring (technical or otherwise)
- You are eager to shape the skills, minds, and careers of the newest generation of web developers
- You are eager to become a better teacher and learn from your colleagues