Bitmaker is Canada’s largest technology skills accelerator.
Startup accelerators launch companies. We launch careers. It starts by surrounding you with a cohort of highly motivated, entrepreneurial learners and a team of tech industry leaders. Then we teach you the skills top companies are looking for and give you the confidence you need to grow long after your course is over.
Our team is comprised of top industry veterans who have experience at Shopify, Mozilla, Wealthsimple, Wave, 500px, and Pivotal Labs. With top instructors comes top results. Over 90% of our hundreds of full-time graduates launch a career in technology within 3 months of graduating.
We believe that in the right environment, you can do anything.
The goal of the Career Coach is to ensure students are supported as they start to think about their next professional steps and graduates are prepared and confident in their job search. You must balance empowering graduates to find jobs in a timely manner with finding roles that they are truly passionate about.
Core activities include:
- Coach & Counsellor - Ensure all job-seeking students have a smooth transition from the classroom to job seeking and that they feel supported during this process. Reduce anxiety for students and graduates around their job search through clear communication. Help students identify their personal goals to best impact their job search and educational experience.
- Content Delivery - Educate students and graduates of immersive programs on skills needed to perform an effective job search. Lead both recurring one-on-one and classroom-based programming.
- Feedback Facilitation - Work with Bitmaker's instructors to identify where students are struggling and create new student-facing resources. Be a key thought partner in the curriculum and resource creation.
- Team Coordination - Coordinate with instructors to provide additional educational opportunities (mock technical interviews, project feedback, etc.).
- Risk Management - Track student progress and highlight to teammates when a student isn’t doing well or is falling out of communication. Also, ensure that we’re putting quality, qualified grads into our community.
Skills and qualifications:
- Familiarity with the technical world; previous industry related experience.
- Previous recruiting, account management, or sales experience ideal.
- Dynamic speaker; engaging & comfortable both one-on-one and delivering to a large group.
- Able to confidently give constructive feedback and encouragement to people of diverse professional and life backgrounds.
- Awareness of job market and breadth of opportunities.
- Previous personal job hunt experience and able to be relatable.
- Resourceful; able to pull educational resources from the community and to tailor lesson plans or meetings based on graduate needs.
- Highly organized and data conscious.
- High emotional intelligence; able to empathize with others and can handle other people’s stress.
- 5+ years professional work experience.
Nice to have (not required):
- Experience with coding or design.
- Experience working at a startup.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Full benefits package
- The satisfaction of helping hundreds and hundreds of students start new careers
- Work out of our beautiful 8,000 sq ft brick and beam office, directly across from Roy Thompson Hall on King Street
- Upgrade your skills: All Bitmaker employees get access to our part-time courses for free